Over 40 years ago, Kenneth and June Ashburner began planting trees in a field. As Kenneth’s plant hunting expeditions gathered pace, so did the collections of trees and plants that started to accumulate in the ‘field’. Years of sympathetic and artistic development and landscaping have created the inspiring garden we enjoy today. In 1995, the garden was award National Collection Status by Plant Heritage and in 2019, it became an RHS Partner Garden.
Why Support Us?
By becoming a ‘Friend of Stone Lane Gardens’, you help to support the work of maintaining and enhancing our important National Collections of Birch and Alder trees and the renovation of our Water Gardens. You are also helping us provide an inspirational environment for the garden and art lovers to visit.
As a Friend, you will be able to enjoy our garden throughout the year at no extra cost.
Why Is Our Garden So Important?
Our National Collections of Birch and Alder trees are:
- Important to scientists – as a living library of genetic material collected from all over the world.
- Important to the public – educating children and adults about these attractive and pioneering trees.
- Important for the future – as a source of trees for possible new breeding programmes as the climate changes.
Our sculpture exhibitions are important for providing an important local ‘shop window’ for West-country artists and designers. It also provides a unique educational setting for both children and adults to enjoy creative learning activities.
What Do I Get?
- Free entry to the gardens all year
- Free entry to the annual sculpture exhibition
- Reduced Prices for public event programme
- Invitations to the sculpture exhibition Private View and special Friends events
- Our quarterly Friends Newsletter to keep you up to date with our work, the gardens and events
- Generous discounts on tree purchases from our nursery
How Much Is Membership?
£30 per year
FREE entry for yourself, guests pay normal rate
£40 per year
Family membership allows any member of your immediate family to have FREE entry all year
How Do I Pay?
For a 1 year membership please choose your membership below and fill in the form, then pay by PayPal via credit or debit card.
For an ongoing membership, please click here to download our standing order form, then return it to us at Stone Lane Gardens, Stone Farm, Chagford, TQ13 8JU.